Chicken and Sweet Potato Pot Pie
Eileen Goltz |
- 3 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1½ cup non dairy creamer or rice or soy milk
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices kosher breakfast beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 1 cup frozen small white onions, thawed
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1¾ cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1¼ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- Cook and mash sweet potatoes (about 4 cups).
- Cook and dice chicken
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a bowl, combine the mashed sweet potatoes, 1/3 cup non dairy creamer, salt and pepper. Stir to combine; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook breakfast beef 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp, turning at least once. Remove the breakfast beef from the skillet and drain on paper towels. Discard all but 1 teaspoon of fat from the pan.
- Add garlic, mushrooms and white onions and cook over medium-high heat 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to brown slightly and mushrooms have softened.
- Sprinkle flour over mushroom mixture and cook, stirring 1 minute. Slowly add remaining non dairy creamer, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Add chicken broth, cumin and nutmeg; bring to a gentle boil and cook until slightly thickened, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and stir in mustard and soy sauce; set aside.
- Crumble breakfast beef into a bowl; add chicken, mixed vegetables and sauce mixture and stir.
- Pour into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Spread the Sweet Potato mixture evenly over the top of the dish to cover. Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until thoroughly warmed.