Chicken and Corn Soup
Eileen Goltz | Meat
- 3 to 3½ lbs. chicken, cut up
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ cup canned tomato sauce
- 2 cans chicken broth (14½ oz. each)
- 1 can cream style corn (17 oz.)
- 2 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into quarters, then thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse chicken, pat dry and set aside.
- In a crock pot, combine onion, carrots, celery, potato and 3 tablespoons parsley. Add chicken, and then pour in tomato sauce and broth.
- Cover and cook at low setting until chicken and potato are very tender when pierced, about 7½-8 hours.
- Lift out chicken and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, skim and discard fat from broth mixture. Stir the corn into the broth mixture, increase cooker heat setting to high. Cover and cook 15 minutes more.
- Remove and discard bones and skin from chicken; tear meat into bite-sized shreds.
- Add chicken and zucchini to soup; cover and cook until zucchini is just tender to bite, (10-15 minutes).
- Season to taste and sprinkle with remaining 1 Tablespoon of parsley.