- 2 cups Bisquick
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ cup milk or non-dairy substitute
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (drained if frozen)
- ¾ cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup ripe banana, mashed
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom of a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl combine all of the ingredients except blueberries and stir until mixed very well about 1 minute. Gently fold in the blueberries and pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake 44 to 55 minutes (toothpick test it to see if it’s done). Cool on a rack for 10 minutes then run a knife around the sides to loosen.
- Remove from loaf pan and cool completely before slicing.
INFESTATION: Cultivated blueberries, the type most commonly found in the supermarket, are generally insect-free. Still they should be placed in a strainer or colander and washed thoroughly under running water. Wild uncultivated blueberries, typically found in mountainous areas, require special inspection due to the prevalence of the ‘blueberry maggot’ (worm). Each berry should be individually inspected for holes or other indications of worms.
- Cultivated blueberries should be placed in a strainer or colander and washed thoroughly under running water.
- Wild blueberries must be carefully examined after washing. Spread them on a white cloth or a sheet of freezer paper and look for holes or other indications of worms.
- Frozen Blueberries: Frozen Blueberries and other frozen fruits may be eaten without any washing or inspection, with the exception of frozen raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries which tend to be heavily infested.