Cashew and Mocha Truffle Bars
Modified from Gourmet Magazine recipe |
- Cut these cookies small (1-inch) squares. They are incredibly rich and a tiny piece goes a long way.
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 7 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup flour, unsifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup cashews, chopped
- ½ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 9 oz. special dark or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- ¾ cup whipping cream
- 1 Tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup white chocolate chips, chopped (½ cup after chopping)
- ½ cup cashews, chopped (¼ cup after chopping)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13-inch cake pan with nonstick foil; set aside.
- Melt the 2 sticks of butter in the microwave in a heat-proof bowl. Whisk in the chopped unsweetened chocolate, stirring until smooth. Beat in sugar until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating on medium speed with an electric mixer until well-mixed. Mix in flour and vanilla. Fold in cashews and mini chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 25 minutes. Do not overbake.
- Cool on a rack to room temperature before adding the topping.
- Pour 1/2 inch of water in the bottom section of a double-boiler and bring to a simmer. Place chopped dark or semi-sweet chocolate in the top section of the double-boiler and place on top of simmering water. Remove from heat and stir chocolate until melted and smooth. Set top bowl of chocolate aside.
- Empty water from bottom section, add heavy whipping cream and corn syrup. Bring slowly to a boil, mixing to combine. Pour cream mixture into melted chocolate, whisking until smooth. This is the ganache. Let the ganache cool 5 to 7 minutes until it thickens to a custard consistency. Whisk in softened butter. Let cool completely to room temperature, then briskly whisk the ganache until it lightens in color.
- Lift brownies from the pan using the foil. Peel down the sides. Cut the brownies into 1-inch squares and separate the squares about 1/4-inch apart.
- Mix white chocolate chips and cashews together. In a hand chopper or food processor, chop until pieces are no more than 1/4-inch in size.
- Pour chocolate ganache evenly over cut brownies so that it drips down the sides in between each square. Sprinkle with chopped white chocolate and cashews.
- Let brownies rest at room temperature until chocolate ganache sets.
- Store chocolate cashew truffle bars in a covered container to keep them from drying out. Serve these truffle squares at room temperature for best flavor and texture.
- Note: Feel free to substitute macadamia nut, pecans, peanuts, walnuts or other nuts for the cashews.