Perfect for dessert or breakfast
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoons butter or margarine
- 2 firm ripe pears, peeled, cored, and cut in half lengthwise
- Vanilla yogurt (for breakfast) or pareve whipped topping, whipped cream or ice cream
- 2 Tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Chocolate sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch pan.
- In a sauce pan combine the brown sugar, water, and butter or margarine. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Immediately remove the mixture from heat and set it aside.
- Arrange pear halves, cut sides up, in the prepared pan and drizzle the caramel mixture over the top of the pears.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 25 to 30 minutes or until the pears are tender.
- To serve, place a pear half on a plate and spoon some of the caramel mixture evenly over pears.
- Top each pear half with yogurt, whipped cream or ice cream, chocolate sauce and almonds.