A wonderful treat for any fall morning or late night snack
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 12 slices sweet French bread
- 4 apples, thinly sliced
- 7 eggs
- 1¾ cups milk or nondairy substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cinnamon and nutmeg
- Whipped cream or nondairy whipped topping, optional
- Combine brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup and cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Spray a 9x13-inch glass baking dish.
- Pour mixture into baking dish and sprinkle with 1 cup chopped pecans.
- Place one layer sliced French bread on syrup and pecans (equals 6 slices). Top with sliced apples.
- Combine the eggs, milk, and vanilla in blender, blend until smooth.
- Pour half the liquid mixture over first layer.
- Place second layer of sliced French Bread on top of apples and cover with remaining egg and milk mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg and bake uncovered for 60 to 70 minutes at 350°F.
Serve each person 1 double-layer serving. It can also be served with whipped cream.