Tastes almost as delicious as a caramel apple on a stick but it’s hot and you eat it with a spoon.
- 1 cup orange juice
- 10 cups apples
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups brown sugar, packed
- 3 cups oatmeal, (old fashioned)
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg (or freshly ground nutmeg to taste)
- 1 (14 oz.) package caramels
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix together flour, brown sugar, oatmeal, and spices. Cut in butter until mixture becomes crumbly. Press 1/2 of crumb mixture into bottom of prepared baking pan.
- Peel, core, and slice apples; cut caramels into quarters. Layer 1/2 of apples and 1/2 of caramels over crumb mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup of crumb mixture.
- Repeat layer of 1/2 of apples and 1/2 of quartered caramels over crumb mixture. Press remaining crumb mixture over top.
- Drizzle with 1/2 cup of orange juice and bake uncovered for 35 minutes. Remove and drizzle with remaining 1/2 cup of orange juice. Continue baking 25 minutes or until apples are soft and mixture is bubbly.