Cream cheese, caramel, pecans, and maple syrup are a natural combination.
- 24 oz. cream cheese (3 packages), room temperature
- 2 lbs. apples
- 3 Tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Calvados (Apple Brandy) (optional)
- 1½ cups shortbread cookies, crushed
- 5 Tablespoons butter, unsalted, melted
- ½ cup pecans
- 2 Tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel, core, and cut apples into 1/2-inch slices.
- Add 3 Tablespoons of butter to a medium saute pan and melt over medium-high heat. When the butter has melted, add the apple slices.
- After the apples have softened (about 10 minutes), add the tablespoons of brown sugar and cook for another minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
For the Caramel:
- In a small pot, add the 1/2 cup of sugar, corn syrup, and water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Without stirring, cook until the sugar becomes a golden amber color.
- Remove from heat and add the heavy cream while whisking.
The mixture may foam some.
- Stir in the maple syrup and set the caramel aside.
For the Crust:
- Add the shortbread, pecans, and 2 Tablespoons of brown sugar to a food processor. Using short pulses chop the mixture until uniform in texture (similar to corn meal) and well-combined.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and stir in the melted butter. Press the crust mixture evenly into the bottom of a 10 inch springform pan.
For the Filling:
- Using a stand or hand mixer, cream together the cream cheese and condensed milk. Add the eggs one at a time, blending well after each one.
- Mix in the cinnamon and Calvados; fold in the apple slices.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared springform pan. Place pan on a cookie sheet in the oven and bake until cheesecake becomes firm and pulls away from the sides of the pan, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool at room temperature for 30 minutes. Place cheesecake in refrigerator and let cool completely before removing from pan, at least 3 hours.
- When cheesecake has completely cooled and been removed from the pan, pour caramel sauce over the top to form a single layer.*
- You can also choose to add the caramel to individual servings.