Butter Cut-Out Cookies
Eileen Goltz |
Pareve or Dairy
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Decorator's sugars (optional)
- Combine the butter or margarine, sugar and egg in large bowl. Beat to combine, scraping the bowl often, until creamy. Add the orange juice and vanilla; mix well. Reduce speed to low; add the flour and baking powder. Beat until well mixed.
- Divide dough into thirds, wrap in plastic food wrap, and refrigerate until firm (2 to 3 hours).
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Roll out the dough on lightly floured surface, one-third at a time (keeping remaining dough refrigerated), to 1/8-to-1/4-inch thickness. Cut with 3-inch cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets (they will spread) sprinkle with decorator sugar.
- Bake for 6 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool completely.
Frosting for Sugar Cookies:
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine 3 cups powdered sugar, 1/3 cup softened butter or margarine and 1 teaspoon vanilla in medium bowl. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often and adding 1 to 2 Tablespoons milk for desired spreading consistency.
You can use food coloring or just keep it white.
- Frost and decorate cooled cookies as desired.
- If you use a 4 to 5-inch cookie cutter, recipe will yield approximately 2 dozen cookies.
- ** These cookies can be decorated with sugar or frosting