Great breakfast for someone who wants fruit with a little crunch.
- 1 whole pineapple, ripe
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine, melted and slightly cooled
- Pinch of salt
- Cut off the top of the pineapple. Cut a slice off the bottom to stabilize the pineapple, then peel from top to bottom with a sharp knife. Cut out any “eyes” in the fruit.
- Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Using a small cookie cutter or biscuit cutter, cut the core out of each slice.
- Arrange the slices in a 9x13 or larger glass or Pyrex baking dish. Chill until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve preheat the broiler to very hot.
- In a small bowl, toss together the macadamia nuts, sugar, butter and salt. Spoon over the pineapple slices.
- Broil (not too close to the heat) until the topping is caramelized and bubbly, about 2 to 4 minutes. Serve hot.