BORSCHT – (Nothing beats the taste of homemade borscht!). It can be served as a soup or as a beverage.
- 1 bunch fresh beets (about 4)
- ½ onion
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 1 quart water
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Sour cream
- Wash and peel beets.
- Cut in half and shred in food processor with either fine or coarse shredding disc.
- Put in pot with water, onion and salt.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer about 1 hour, or until beets are very soft. Turn off heat.
- Stir in lemon juice. You may stir in 1 cup sour cream at this point.
- Chill well or float 2 Tablespoons of sour cream on top of each serving.