My friend Laurel gave me this recipe a million years ago and I still love it to make if as a gift.
Fresh Blueberries are generally insect infested. Please check “Special Instructions” section below for information on insect inspection of blueberries.
- Blueberry Filling:
- 1 cup blueberries, chopped
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1¼ cups flour
- ¾ cup old fashioned OR quick-cooking oats
- ¾ cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- ½ cup butter
Cream Cheese Filling:
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease the bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine blueberry filling ingredients; stir until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thick and bubbly, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine all crumb mixture ingredients except butter; mix well.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1 cup crumb mixture for topping.
- Press remaining crumb mixture firmly in bottom of prepared baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl mix together the cream cheese filling ingredients with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended; pour into baked crust.
- Spoon blueberry filling over cream cheese filling and swirl with knife to marbleize.
- Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture over filling.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool completely before cutting into bars.
INFESTATION: Cultivated blueberries, the type most commonly found in the supermarket, are generally insect-free. Still they should be placed in a strainer or colander and washed thoroughly under running water. Wild uncultivated blueberries, typically found in mountainous areas, require special inspection due to the prevalence of the ‘blueberry maggot’ (worm). Each berry should be individually inspected for holes or other indications of worms.
- Cultivated blueberries should be placed in a strainer or colander and washed thoroughly under running water.
- Wild blueberries must be carefully examined after washing. Spread them on a white cloth or a sheet of freezer paper and look for holes or other indications of worms.