Tasty Cheese Blintzes with Blueberry Topping. This recipe can be adapted to make many more servings when needed (see instructions below).
- 1 lb. cottage cheese
- 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
For Blueberry Sauce:
- ⅔ cups sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Dash cinnamon
- Dash nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square pan.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine the cottage and cream cheese, butter, and sugar; mix thoroughly. Add the eggs, one at a time, and then add the lemon juice.
- In another bowl sift together the flour and baking powder. Add the cheese mixture to the flour mixture and mix well.
- Pour the batter into pan and sprinkle the top lightly with cinnamon.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until edges are golden-brown and top is springy to the touch.
- Cut into squares and serve with blueberry sauce.
For Blueberry Sauce: .
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch cinnamon nutmeg and salt in a small sauce pan gradually add the water and cook over medium heat stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and boil for 1 minute.
- Stir in the blueberries and lemon juice and boil 1 more minute stirring constantly
Blueberry Sauce yields 2½ cups.
A Note about Blueberries:
1. Cultivated blueberries, the type most commonly found in the supermarket, are generally insect free. Still they should be placed in a strainer or colander and washed thoroughly under running water.
2. Wild uncultivated blueberries, typically found in mountainous areas, require special inspection due to the prevalence of the 'blueberry maggot' (worm). Each berry should be individually inspected for holes or other indications of worms.