You can increase the spiciness to suit your personal taste.
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn kernels, frozen, canned, or fresh cooked
- ½ sweet red pepper
- ½ red onion
- ½ cup finely-diced ripe tomato
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 4 green onions (scallions)
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Chop the red pepper, red onion, and scallion and toss in a mixing bowl with the remaining ingredients. Taste, and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Let sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes or refrigerated for at least one hour before serving.
INFESTATION: Green onions, also referred to as scallions, have a white base that develops into a bulb. Its long, straight green shoots branch forth from the bulb. Light green or brown thrips may occasionally be found between the green branches where they protrude from the bulb. Less frequently, they can be found on the outside or inside of the long green shoots.
- A vertical cut should be made from the top of the scallion’s green shoot to the bottom of the bulb. Examine three scallions from each bunch, paying careful attention to the area between the branches that protrude from the bulb.
- If no insects are found, wash thoroughly under a heavy stream of water or power hose and use.
- If insects are found in a scallion, scallion must be discarded.