Basic Hamantaschen Dough
Eileen Goltz |
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- ¾ cup oil
- ¾ cup sugar (brown sugar gives it an interesting kick)
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- 5 cups sifted flour
- Filling of choice
- In a bowl combine the slightly beaten eggs, oil, sugar and orange rind.
- Beat until mixture is fluffy and thick.
- Gently stir in flour.
- Cover and chill at least 1-1/2 hours or until firm before proceeding.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Divide dough into quarters. Roll out each on floured board or cloth to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 2 1/2- or 3-inch circles and place on greased cookie sheet.
- Place 1 Tablespoon filling into center of each circle.
- Form tri-corners by folding up the edges of the dough almost to center and making three seams (some filling should show in center).
- Pinch seams together tightly.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.