- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 cups butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- ⅛ teaspoon of salt
- 3 eggs
- 6 cups of flour
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the sugar and the butter. Beat in vanilla and salt.
- Add eggs one at the time. Gradually blend in flour.
- Chill dough in refrigerator for 2 hours or until firm enough to roll and handle.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Roll out pieces of dough to 1/4 -inch thickness.
- Cut out rounds with a 4-inch cookie cutter.
- Place a teaspoon of filling in the center of each round.
- Gather the edges of the dough around the filling and pinch at 3 points to secure seams firmly.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks.
When the hamentashen come out from the oven, the dough will be slightly soft, but it will firm as it cools.