- 2 firm-ripe bananas, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Preheat broiler.
- Divide bananas among gratin dishes.
- In a bowl, stir together sour cream and vanilla, then spoon over bananas, covering them and smoothing tops.
- Sprinkle each gratin with 1 Tablespoon sugar.
- Broil on a baking sheet 3 to 5 inches from heat until sugar is melted but not caramelized, about 3 minutes.
Special equipment: 4 (6×4-inch) gratin dishes or 1 (1- to 1 1/2-quart) gratin dish