A simple sweet-and-sour dressing complements roasted beets.
- 6 medium beets (about 2½ lbs.)
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 star anise
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Leave root and 1 inch of stem on beets; scrub with a brush.
- Wrap beets in foil. Bake at 400°F for 1 hour or until tender.
- Cool beets to room temperature. Peel and cut each beet into 8 wedges.
- Combine juice, vinegar, sugar, and star anise in a small saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Cook until reduced to 1/3 cup (about 10 minutes). Discard star anise.
- Combine beets, vinegar mixture, salt, and pepper; toss well.