This recipe can be prepared in 45 minutes or less but tastes like you took all day.
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 slices firm white sandwich bread
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro sprigs
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Tabasco (or red hot pepper sauce)
- 4 hamburger buns
For Pickled Cucumbers:
- ⅓ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ¼ cup pickled ginger (optional)
- 1 English cucumber
- Pickled Cucumbers:
In a bowl stir together vinegar and sugar until sugar is dissolved. If using ginger, chop.
- Slice enough cucumber crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices to measure 1 1/2 cups and add to vinegar with ginger, tossing well.
- Marinate mixture at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours.
- Prepare grill.
- Mince garlic.
- Into a blender tear bread slices and grind into fine crumbs.
- In a bowl with your hands mix garlic with bread crumbs and remaining burger ingredients until just combined (do not overmix) and form into four 1-inch-thick patties.
- Season burgers with salt and pepper and grill on a lightly oiled rack set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals about 5 minutes on each side, or until just cooked through.
- Transfer burgers to buns and top with drained cucumbers.