This recipe is kosher for Passover.
Apple Vegetable Tzimmes
Eileen Goltz |
- 6 cups raw sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 6 cups unpeeled cooking apples, sliced
- 1½ cups carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup small, pitted prunes, cut in half
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- ¼ cup unsweetened orange juice
- ¼ cup honey (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground ginger
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 9x13-inch baking pan with a non-stick spray.
- Layer half of the potatoes in the bottom of the pan, overlapping the edges. Repeat with half of the apples then spread half of the carrots and prunes over the top. Repeat layers.
- In a bowl, combine the orange peel, orange juice, honey, brown sugar cinnamon and ginger; mix well.
- Drizzle the sauce evenly over the top and then tilt the pan to make sure it covers all the layers.
- Cover tightly with a sheet of aluminum foil. Pierce with 8 to 10 one-inch slits so steam may vent.
- Bake for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until steamed and tender.