A beautiful fall or winter dessert that will serve a large crowd.
- 1 (18.25 oz.) box spice cake mix
- 1¼ cups cinnamon applesauce
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 (21 oz.) can apple pie filling
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 7 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 3 cups cold milk
- 1 large box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 envelope whipped topping mix
- 1 (12 oz.) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup English toffee bits or almond brickle chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13-inch pan and set it aside.
- In a mixing bowl of an electric mixer combine the dry cake mix, applesauce, eggs and oil; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a saucepan combine the pie filling, butter and 1 teaspoon cinnamon and heat until the butter is melted; stir until well blended and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl for the electric mixer combine the milk, pudding mix, topping mix and remaining, cinnamon.
- Beat on high until thickened, about 5 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Spread a third of the topping in a 6-quart clear glass bowl.
- Cut cake into cubes; place half over topping.
- Top with half of the fruit mixture, walnuts and pudding mixture.
- Repeat layers, ending with remaining topping mixture. Sprinkle the top with toffee bits.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.