Apple French Toast
Eileen Goltz |
- 6 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons white corn syrup
- ½ cup margarine
- 3 or 4 large apples
- 12 slices of bread
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla and salt to blend and set aside.
- Peel and slice apples in medium size slices.
- In large skillet, melt the margarine; add apples and simmer until apples are almost cooked. Add brown sugar and corn syrup and simmer until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the mixture into 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Layer 6 bread slices on top of apple mixture, add another layer of bread, for a total of 2 layers. Make sure bread is a snug fit.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread and apples. Cover and chill overnight.
- Bake French toast uncovered for approximately 40 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Cut into serving portions.
- Using spatula, invert each portion on serving plate so that apple side is up.