Apple and Cranberry Honey Fried Pies
Eileen Goltz |
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup fresh cranberries*
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 (15-oz.) package refrigerated pie crusts, or frozen ones, defrosted, or your own recipe
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- In a sauce pan combine the apples, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, cranberries, sugar, honey and salt. Cook for 5 minutes over a medium heat and then reduce the heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes or until the apples are tender. Cool completely, and drain.
- Roll piecrusts to 12-inch circles; cut each crust into 9 (4-inch) circles.
- Spoon 1 level Tablespoon fruit mixture onto half of each pastry circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over fruit mixture, pressing edges to seal. Crimp edges with a fork dipped in flour.
- Pour oil to depth of 1/2 inch into a large heavy skillet; heat to 350°F. Fry pies, in batches, 2 minutes on each side.**
- Combine 1 Tablespoon sugar and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and sprinkle over hot pies.
- * You can use thawed frozen cranberries or dried cranberries.
- ** Note: If you don’t want to fry these pies, you can bake them instead. Place them on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 425°F. for 12 minutes or until golden and crispy.