2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
1 cup fresh cranberries (you can use thawed frozen cranberries or dried cranberries).
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts or frozen ones, defrosted or your own recipe
1 tablespoon sugar
- In a sauce pan combine the apples, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, cranberries, sugar, honey and salt. Cook for 5 minutes over a medium heat and then reduce the heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes or until the apples are tender. Cool completely, and drain.
- Roll piecrusts to 12-inch circles; cut each crust into 9 (4-inch) circles.
- Spoon 1 level tablespoon fruit mixture onto half of each pastry circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over fruit mixture, pressing edges to seal. Crimp edges with a fork dipped in flour.
- Pour oil to depth of 1/2 inch into a large heavy skillet; heat to 350°. Fry pies, in batches, 2 minutes on each side. Combine 1 tablespoon sugar and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and sprinkle over hot pies.
- Note: If you don’t want to fry these pies, you can bake them instead. Place them on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 425. for 12 minutes or until golden and crispy.