Almost Kahlua Kugel
Eileen Goltz |
- 8 oz. lasagna noodles
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup coffee liqueur
- ¼ cup butter, melted (I like to use unsalted)
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 oz. semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon butter, chilled and chopped
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Cook noodles in 4 quarts of boiling water until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a bowl beat the eggs with sugar and then add the cottage cheese, sour cream, milk, coffee liqueur and melted butter, blend well.
- Pour 1 cup of the egg mixture into a buttered 9x9-inch baking dish. Top with 1/4 of noodles. Repeat layering until all ingredients are used up.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, minimum.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Topping: In a bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, chocolate chips, espresso powder. With your fingers or a fork, rub cold butter into mixture to form coarse crumbs. You may make topping up to two days in advance. Sprinkle topping evenly over kugel.
- Bake until firm in center, about 1 hour. Cool slightly.
- Cut warm kugel into serving squares and serve with whipped cream, if desired.
- This recipe can be doubled or tripled