Almond Lace Cookies
Modified from a Julia Child recipe |
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- ⅓ cup flour
- ½ cup sliced almonds, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F and generously grease 2 large baking sheets.
- Cook brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup in a saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth. Remove from heat, then stir in flour and almonds.
- Spoon scant Tablespoons of batter 6 inches apart on baking sheets (4 cookies per sheet) and bake 1 sheet at a time in middle of oven until golden brown and bubbling, 6 to 8 minutes.
(Cookies will spread to 5 to 6 inches.)
- Cool cookies on sheet 1 to 2 minutes.* Quickly but carefully remove cookies from sheet with a metal spatula and transfer to a rack to cool completely.
(If they become too brittle to transfer, return baking sheet to oven for about 1 minute to allow cookies to soften.)