- 2 acorn squash (about 1½ lb. each), split and seeded
- 2 large leeks, washed well and diced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup toasted chopped pecans
- 1 Tablespoon margarine
- 2 Tablespoons chopped chives or green onion
- Cut acorn squash in half. Place the halves on a cookie sheet and bake in a 350°F oven for 30-45 minutes or until tender. Remove the cooked squash from the oven and let cool. Scoop out the flesh from the skin and place it in a stock pot.
- In a skillet saute the diced leeks in the margarine. Cook until the leeks are soft. Add the cooked leeks to the squash and about 2/3 of the chicken stock.
- Stir everything together and cook, over a medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add additional chicken stock if too thick. If you prefer a smoother soup you can puree it before serving or you can serve it as is. You can add more chicken stock if the soup is too thick.
- Just before serving, season with salt and pepper and garnish the top of each bowl with the chopped toasted pecans and chives.