I like to use a combination of apple varieties in this cake, particularly Golden Delicious, Criterion, and McIntosh.
- 4 cups peeled and diced apples (I like to use 4½ to 5 cups)
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup oil
- 1 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour (general purpose, not self-rising)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, combine the apples and sugar and mix thoroughly. Add the oil, nuts, raisins, eggs and vanilla.
- Mix dry ingredients together and then add them to the apple mixture.
- Bake in a greased 13x9-inch pan for 1 hour but check at 45 minutes - depending on the type of apples you use it may be done sooner.