My sons LOVE this dish. I usually make a double batch because there are never any leftovers.
- 1 large onion
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 small or 1 large zucchini
- 2 Tablespoons oregano
- ½ lb. cheddar cheese (grated)
- ½ lb. mozzarella cheese (grated)
- ⅛ lb. feta cheese (crumbled)
- 4 Tablespoons parmesan cheese (grated)
- Bread or cracker crumbs for garnish (if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice the onions, tomatoes and zucchini thinly. (Half or quarter the zucchini if they are large).
- Arrange half the vegetables in a layer in a 9x11 pan. (9x13 also works). Sprinkle with half the oregano and top with half the cheese.
- Repeat to form second layer.
- Top with bread crumbs if desired.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until cheese is melted and just starts to brown.
- Cool 15 minutes before serving.
Serves 6 adults or 4 teenagers.
I have substituted matzo meal for the breadcrumbs in this recipe during Pesach and you really can tell the difference.