1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons butter or margarine
2 firm ripe pears, peeled and cored and cut in half lengthwise
vanilla yogurt (for breakfast) or pareve whipped topping, whipped cream or ice cream
2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
Chocolate sauce (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9×13 pan.
2. In a sauce pan combine the brown sugar, water, and butter or margarine. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove the mixture from heat immediately and set it aside.
3. Arrange pear halves, cut sides up, in the prepared pan and drizzle the caramel mixture over the top of the pears.
4. Cover the pan with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 25 to 30 minutes or until the pears are tender.
5. To serve, place a pear half on a plate and spoon some of the caramel mixture evenly over pears. Top each pear half with yogurt, whipped cream or ice cream, chocolate sauce and almonds.
Serves 2 to 4.
Perfect for dessert or breakfast