3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons fresh basil; chopped, or 1 1/2 teaspoons Dried basil
2 sliced and diced red or green bell peppers
1/4 to 1/2 cup dry white wine
4 baked potatoes
sugar, to taste
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, add the garlic and mushrooms and saute for a minute or two;
2. Add the crushed tomatoes and basil. Stir while the mixture comes to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 5 minutes;
3. Add sliced and diced pepper pieces into the sauce and simmer until the peppers are tender but not too soft, about 7 or 8 minutes;
4. Stir in the white wine. Taste the sauce and add a touch of sugar if desired, and salt and freshly ground pepper;
5. Serve over a baked potato.
Serves 4. This recipe can be doubled or tripled.
A quick lunch or dinner for chol chomoed.