Steps to Kosher Certification
- Complete and send your New Company Application to the OU office by fax or by mail (or fill out the online application). The application asks for logistical information about your company and your plant, as well as a list of the products you want certified and their ingredients.
- A Rabbinic Coordinator (account executive) will be assigned to handle your application. This RC will be your designated point person at the OU, and will be available to answer your questions, address your needs, and guide you through the certification process.
- A qualified Rabbinic Field Representative (RFR) will visit your plant to observe your operation and the feasibility of certifying your products. (There is a processing fee and a travel expense fee that is billed prior to this inspection.) The RFR will tour your plant and file a written report to OU headquarters.
- Your application and inspection report will be reviewed by your Rabbinic Coordinator, who will advise you whether or not the OU can grant certification. In some instances, some system modifications may be required for certification to be awarded.
- The RC will draft a contract that will include all OU requirements for kosher certification. If you deem it acceptable, the contract is signed and returned to the OU office, and a letter of certification is sent to you.
- Your new product labels carrying the OU symbol may then be submitted for our final approval.
- CONGRATULATIONS! You have now joined a family of companies that proudly carries the world’s best-known and most widely accepted kosher trademark, the OU.