The Herr Foods story began in 1946 when 21-year-old James Stauffer Herr bought a small potato chip company in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, for $1,750. In 1947, the business moved into a vacated tobacco shed on the Herr family farm. As he learned more about the business, Jim Herr developed new and better cooking processes and a delicious snack food became even better. As demand for Herr’s Potato Chips grew, so did the company.
In 1958, after careful consideration, Herr’s began adding seasoning to the potato chips. The barbeque chip was the first flavored chip the company tried and it’s still in production today. Over the years the company added a number of flavors, including Sour Cream and Onion, No-Salt, Salt and Vinegar, Red Hot, Slightly Salted, Pennsylvania Dutch, Dill, and Sour Cream and Cheddar.
To keep in step with consumer demand, Herr’s began producing a number of new products: 1976 Cheese Curls, 1978 Popcorn, 1981 Pretzels, 1983 Corn products, such as corn and tortilla chips, 1984 Onion Rings.
In 1989, the company constructed a 15,000-square-foot Visitors’ Center adjacent to the plant. Every day tour guides lead visitors through the center and the plant. Tours begin in a 140-seat theater, where visitors are entertained and educated by a 27-minute film, featuring Ed Herr and Chipper® the Chipmunk, a puppet animated by Jim Henson Puppeteers.