Very Veggie Minestrone
Eileen Goltz |
Pareve or Meat
- Modified from a recipe from epicurious.com.
- Insect prone vegetables, are not made permissible by the freezing process. These vegetables should only be purchased when bearing proper certification. Uncertified frozen varieties such as cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus and spinach are most difficult to check thoroughly. They are therefore not recommended.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic (more if you prefer)
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 red pepper
- 4 oz. prewashed and cut kale (6 cups)
- 1 (1 lb.) bag frozen mixed Italian vegetables such as zucchini, green beans, cauliflower, and broccoli
- 1 (14½ oz.) can "petite" diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 5¼ cups vegetable or chicken broth (42 fl. oz.)
- 2 cups water
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (19 oz.) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Seed and dice red pepper into chunks. Coarsely chop onion.
- Heat oil in a 5 to 6-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then cook onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 3 minutes. Add kale and saute, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add frozen vegetables, peppers, celery, tomatoes with juice, pasta, broth, water, salt, and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender and pasta is al dente, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, transfer half of beans to a wide shallow bowl and coarsely mash with a fork or a potato masher.
- Stir mashed and whole beans into soup and simmer, stirring occasionally, until soup is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.