Do not use quick cooking barley or oats in this recipe.
- 2 Tablespoons regular barley
- ½ cup rolled oats, not quick cook
- ¾ cup plus 2 Tablespoons milk*
- 1½ teaspoons shortening
- 1 cup bread flour
- ⅔ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spread the barley and oats in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes, stirring every five minutes. Let the barley and oatmeal cool to room temperature.
- Place the barley and oatmeal in a blender and blend until the mixture is the consistency of flour.
- Add all of the ingredients to the bread machine according to the manufacturer's directions. Bake on Rye Bread cycle.
- * NOTE: 3/4 cups plus 2 Tablespoons water and 3 Tablespoons dry milk can be substituted for the milk if you want to use the delay cycle.