Stuffed French Toast
Eileen Goltz |
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 loaf sourdough bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Oil for frying
- 1 (12 oz.) jar apricot preserves
- ½ cup orange juice
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine the cream cheese and 1 teaspoon vanilla until fluffy; beat to combine and stir in nuts.
- Cut bread into 10 to 12 (1-1/2") slices and cut a pocket in top of each slice.
- In another bowl combine the eggs, cream, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In each pocket, place 1 teaspoon of cream cheese mixture. Dip bread slices in egg mixture.
- Heat oil in pan.
- Cook bread on both sides until golden brown. Keep warm on baking sheet in oven.
- In a saucepan combine the apricot preserves and orange juice. Heat until warm, stirring to combine.
- To serve, drizzle the sauce over French toast.