- Green onions (scallions ) require insect inspection. Please see “Kashrut Instructions” below for instructions on checking scallions for insect infestation.
- 1 cup corn
- 2 cups zucchini, washed and grated*
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup scallions, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- ½ cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Saute the corn and zucchini in the olive oil for five minutes. Stir in the onions and set aside.
- Heat the butter or margarine in a large saucepan. Blend in the flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook until smooth and bubbly. Add the milk gradually, stirring constantly. Cook over medium-low heat until the mixture thickens, then cook one minute more. Remove roux from heat.
- Beat the egg yolks in a bowl, then gradually stir them into the hot roux.
- Add the sauteed corn and zucchini mixture and stir in the shredded cheese.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff. Blend one-third of the egg whites into the roux.
- Carefully fold in the remaining whites until no white streaks remain.
- Pour mixture into a greased, flour-dusted, 2-quart souffle dish or casserole. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until puffy and golden brown on top.
- Serve immediately.
- * If zucchini is small, do not peel
INFESTATION: Green onions, also referred to as scallions, have a white base that develops into a bulb. Its long, straight green shoots branch forth from the bulb. Light green or brown thrips may occasionally be found between the green branches where they protrude from the bulb. Less frequently, they can be found on the outside or inside of the long green shoots.
- A vertical cut should be made from the top of the scallion’s green shoot to the bottom of the bulb. Examine three scallions from each bunch, paying careful attention to the area between the branches that protrude from the bulb.
- If no insects are found, wash thoroughly under a heavy stream of water or power hose and use.
- If insects are found in a scallion, it must be discarded.