Chocolate Chocolate Chip Scones
Eileen Goltz |
Pareve or Dairy
- 1¾ cups flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons cold butter or margarine
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup whipping cream or non dairy substitute
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 bars (1½ oz. each) dark chocolate
- Coarse sugar
- In bowl of a food processor, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Pulse until well blended. Cut butter or margarine into chunks. Add chunks and process for a few seconds, just until butter is size of peas. Transfer mixture to large bowl and stir in sugar.
- In small bowl, whisk together heavy cream, eggs, and vanilla extract. Pour cream mixture over dry ingredients. Cut chocolate into 1/4-inch pieces; add and stir to form dough.
- Knead dough lightly in bowl about 10 times. Transfer dough onto lightly floured work surface and shape into 8-inch round disc. Transfer round to plate, cover with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and cut round into 8 wedges. Transfer scones to ungreased baking sheet and sprinkle tops with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes or until set.
- Transfer to wire rack and cool completely or serve slightly warm.