- 1 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 cup chopped spinach leaves
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup uncooked rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups half and half (you can use a non dairy equivalent)
- Sour cream or non dairy equivalent
- Minced parsley
- Minced chives
- Chopped tomatoes
- Combine celery leaves, carrot, green pepper, spinach, chopped parsley, onion and chicken broth in a stock pot. Add the parsley, bay, thyme and cloves to the broth mixture along with the rice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Discard the parsley and bay leaf.
- Puree the soup in batches in the blender. Return soup to the stock pot and bring to a boil.
- In a smaller bowl beat the egg yolks and stir a little of the soup into the beaten egg yolks.
- Stir yolk/soup mixture into the hot soup and simmer, stirring until smooth, do not boil.
- Stir in the half and half and simmer 3 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove the soup from the heat and chill thoroughly. If the soup separates while chilling, just stir before serving.
- To serve, garnish with sour cream, parsley, chives and chopped tomatoes.
This recipe can be doubled or tripled.