Eileen Goltz |
Pareve or Dairy
- 5 cups blackberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup quick-cooking tapioca pearls
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon or nutmeg, more or less to taste
- 2 Tablespoons cold butter or margarine cut in small pieces
- 1 Tablespoon milk or egg whites for brushing the top crust
- 1 Tablespoon sugar for dusting the crust
- 2 uncooked pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place the bottom pie crust evenly in a 9” pie pan or ceramic pie dish and set aside. Fold the top crust in half and place a towel over it so it doesn’t dry out.
- In a bowl gently combine the blackberries, sugar, flour, tapioca, lemon zest, and cinnamon or nutmeg. Fold the berry mixture into the prepared pie crust and dot the top with the cold butter.
- Place the top crust over the berry filling and crimp the edges together. Cut several vent holes in the top for the steam to escape.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and juices are bubbling from the vent holes. If the edges start to brown too quickly, place a piece of aluminum foil around the rim.
- Remove to cool and let sit for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Refrigerating the pie before cutting will result in cleaner slices.