- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups hot water
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1½ cups chopped carrots
- ½ to 1 teaspoon salt (don't over salt)
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- ½ cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 Tablespoons finely-chopped fennel fronds
- In a Dutch oven, saute fennel bulb and onion in oil until fennel is tender.
- Add the water, broth, carrots, thyme, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduced heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and orzo. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until orzo is tender.
- Stir in fennel fronds and season with salt and pepper.
This recipe can be doubled or tripled.