Making kosher hot cocoa bombs has never been easier. Hot cocoa bombs, or hot chocolate cocoa bombs have become a social media tour de force. On TikTok, the hashtag #hotchocolatebombs has been used more than 181 million times and on Instagram the hashtag #hotchocolatebombs has over 167,000 posts. What is the cause of such hysteria?
Perhaps if you put your imagination in the driver’s seat, you can understand why. If you could pour hot milk over a circular piece of chocolate encased with hot coca mix and marshmallows that bursts open, like lava in a fire, how would such a drink make you feel? Probably pretty good. And that’s just the basic drink. More ingredients can be encased in the chocolate and more toppings can go on the outside of the chocolate.
The core kosher ingredients you need is chocolate, mini marshmallows and hot chocolate mix. There are chocolate Candy Melts in all colors from Wilton Brands, an OU kosher certified company. This way you can pick any color for the hot cocoa bomb. Manischewitz, OU certified, sells mini marshmallows and you can get hot chocolate mix from OU certified Nestle. Of course, there are many other OU kosher products and brands you can use, but this should give you a starting point.
With Purim soon approaching, you could surprise someone with homemade hot cocoa bombs. While fulfilling your obligation of mishloach manot, you can bring immediate joy to someone who can enjoy the experience and spectacle of seeing a fresh hot cocoa bomb melt and disperse marshmallows and hot chocolate mix into their hot milk.
You can prepare it anytime at home whether to celebrate with others or simply to enjoy it by yourself on a frigid day. The supplies needed and ingredients used are all fairly easily accessible and the directions are rather straightforward. So enjoy the beginning of a new journey.
• Half globe or dome chocolate mold plastic or silicone mold
• Microwave safe bowl or double boiler
• Optional: silicone pastry brush
• Melting chocolate or chocolate chips (milk, dark, white, and even colored!) (dairy and pareve)
• Hot cocoa mix (dairy and pareve)
• Mini Marshmallows
Optional add-ins and topping:
• Caramel (dairy and pareve)
• Cookie or nut butter
• Chocolate hazelnut spread (dairy and pareve)
• Crushed peppermint candies
• Toffee pieces
• Mini chocolate chips (assorted flavors) (dairy and pareve)
1. Melt your chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds. Stir. Continue to heat at 15-second intervals, stirring in between, until the chocolate is completely melted. (Alternatively, melt over a double boiler at low heat, stirring frequently.)
2. Use a spoon to dollop the melted chocolate into your molds, smoothing it around the edges with the back of the spoon or pastry brush until everything is covered in a thin even layer. Set in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes, or until the chocolate is firm.
3. Gently release your chilled chocolate from the molds onto your work surface.
4. Fill half your mold three-fourths full with hot cocoa mix. (Optional: add a heaping mount of add-ins.)
5. To seal you bombs, place a small frying pan over low heat. Gently place your empty chocolate molds face down to melt the edge. Immediately place on top of a filled mold. (Optional drizzle with contrasting chocolate and decorate with sprinkles, cocoa powder or crushed candy.)
6. Place the sealed bombs back in the fridge until the chocolate sets.
7. Serve in a mug. Pour your favorite hot milk (or pareve milk substitute) over the bomb and stir until the chocolate and cocoa powder are thoroughly mixed in. Enjoy!